Weekend round up - Saturday 16th March 2019

Sun 17th March 2019 | General
By Ian Templeman

The stormy weather that swept in during the early hours of Saturday morning inevitably took its toll on the scheduled weekend fixtures.

In the end, six games went ahead, three of them on grass and three on artificial surfaces, evenly spread with two games in each division.

In the Premier Division, there was an important result at Yockings Park, with Bootle's 3-1 win at Whitchurch Alport moving them just two points behind City of Liverpool at the top of the table.

It was Bootle's 14th successive win, and they had built a two goal lead by half time through goals from Ryan Cox and Carl Peers, before Connor Millington made the game safe with a third goal 20 minutes from time.

Luke Walley reduced the arrears for Alport with a late first time shot.

In the other game that went ahead in the top division, Burscough's 3-0 win over West Didsbury & Chorlton keeps West deep in relegation trouble, four points from safety.

Jordan Lorde and Chad Whyte put Burscough two by half time, and Terry Cummings added a third on 63 minutes.

The two games in the First Division North delivered 16 goals, and while it was maybe no surprise that league leaders Longridge Town scored four at St Helens Town, the form guide didn't suggest that the home side would battle back to earn a 4-4 draw.

Richie Allen put Longridge Town ahead on 15 minutes, but two goals from Matthew Smith put St Helens 2-1 up by the break.

Paul Turner equalised straight after the restart, but Josef Faux then made it 3-2 for St Helens in the 54th minute.

Two more goals from Richie Allen, the second a penalty to complete his hat trick, seemed to have turned the game in Longridge's favour, but an Alex Moffitt goal six minutes from time levelled for St Helens.

Longridge are now seven points ahead of second placed Avro at the top of the table, although Avro have two games in hand.

At the Anfield Sports Centre, Lower Breck consolidated their third place position with a 7-1 win over Holker Old Boys.

There was little to suggest the final score would end as it did, as Breck only led 2-0 at the break through goals from Luke Duffy and Peter Moore.

Duffy scored his second of the game three minutes into the second half, and in the final quarter of the game Breck piled on the agony for Holker with further goals from Michael Douglas, Stephen Milne, Jamie Henders and Thomas Kinsella.

Brad Hubbold scored Holker's consolation.

In the First Division South, the form guide was turned on its head at the Stockport Sports Village, with second placed Stone Old Alleynians losing 8-0 to Stockport Town, who started the day in 14th place.

Two goals from Gavin Salmon had the Lions two up at half time, and he completed his hat trick shortly after half time. George Blackwell and Kiarno Samms both scored twice, and Joshua Robinson chipped in with the other goal.

FC Oswestry Town continued their good run of form, and their 5-0 win at Stone Dominoes continued a run that sees them at the top of the division's form table, with five wins and a draw from their last six games.

Owen Lloyd, Michael O`Reilly and Liam Parry had put Town three ahead by half time, and Parry's second goal on 51 minutes and a fifth from Samuel Spridgeon five minutes later completed the scoring.

Town are now sixth in the table, while Dominoes remain rooted to the bottom spot.


Our Sponsors & Partners