Weekend round up - Saturday 10th February 2018

Sun 11th February 2018 | General
By Ian Templeman

Although we are getting used to the increasingly tedious monotony of adverse weather wrecking a fixture card, this weekend was the worst of the season so far, with just three games surviving - and two of those were on artificial surfaces.

The one Premier Division fixture certainly provided plenty of goal action, with Widnes further consolidating their second place in the table behind leaders Runcorn Linnets after a 7-1 home win over bottom of the table Barnton.

Given the final score, it's a little surprising to note that the game was goalless until the 38th minute when George Lomax opened the scoring, and Ben Hodkinson doubled the advantage just before half time.

Christopher Lomax then made it 3-0 four minutes into the second half, although Barnton kept going and a Jack Irlam penalty midway through the second half gave them some hope.

But further goals in the last 15 minutes from Kevin Towey, two from Jack Banister and one in the last minute from Stuart Cook wrapped up a convincing win.

In the First Division, the only game of the weekend played on grass was the eye catching clash between top of the table Silsden AFC and fourth placed Prestwich Heys, which ended in a 2-2 draw.

It always had the look of keenly contested game and that proved to be the case, with Arley Barnes giving Silsden a 24th minute lead which was cancelled out by a Heys equaliser from Alfie Belcher eight minutes later.

Midway through the second half Daniel White put Heys ahead from the penalty spot, but Silsden rescued a point when manager Danny Forrest came off the bench and secured a draw for his side with a second goal 14 minutes from time.

In the other game in Division One, Whitchurch Alport moved into second place after a 5-1 win at St Helens Town.

A close range finish and a 25 yard rocket from Ben Mills put Alport two up, and Hovik Nerseryan added a third on the stroke of half time to put Alport in control.

However, a strong start to the second half from Town saw Matthew Smith pull a goal back, and it wasn't until the final six minutes that Alport secured the points.

First, Mills completed his hat trick with a near post header and then skipper Simon Everall beat the offside trap to round off a good afternoon with the fifth goal in the final minute.

Alport are now 14 points behind Silsden at the top, but have four games in hand.


Our Sponsors & Partners